Join Bob and Shannon for a Boldly Going Nowhere Weekend Retreat
TIME & DATE: 530pm 10 January 2020 – 1130am 12 January 2020
LOCATION: Epworth by the Sea, near Jacksonville FL
*****Registration ends 12/14/2019 in order to finalize the details with the retreat center*****
Located on the banks of the historic Frederica River, Epworth By The Sea is a ministry owned and operated by the South Georgia Conference of the United Methodist Church. The property was purchased on October 29th 1949 and the gates opened in 1950. The 100-acre Retreat Center is nestled in history and beauty. Epworth By The Sea proudly serves a diversity of groups, individuals, denominations, private and government agencies, Armed Services, civic organizations and others whose goals are consistent with Epworth’s mission, which is to provide a place for worship, study and fellowship.
The one-mile riverbank tract from the causeway bridge to the bend in the Frederica River at the Robertson Inn is called Gascoigne Bluff. Named for Captain James Gascoigne, commander of the sloop-of-war Hawk who escorted the first British settlers to Georgia to establish Fort Frederica in 1735, the bluff offered vessels the first landing place after entering the harbor. Gascoigne Bluff is rightfully called “The Gateway to St Simons Island”. From Native North American occupation, Oglethorpe’s military era, plantation days, the Civil War and lumber mill days, to Epworth By The Sea, this small tract of land has played an important role in the history of coastal Georgia. During the Revolutionary War live oak timbers were cut on St Simons and loaded at Gascoigne Bluff for shipment to be used in building of the US Frigate Constitution—better known as “Old Ironsides”—and other vessels.
So our friends, we would love for you to join us for our first visit to Epworth by the Sea for a Boldly Going Nowhere Retreat.
- Address: 100 Arthur J Moore Dr, Saint Simons Island GA 31522
- Registration includes lodging, meals, and tuition for the entire weekend.
- Maximum participation is 28 attendees.
- After you register, you will receive an EMAIL REQUESTING ADDITIONAL INFORMATION to indicate any food allergies, to identify an emergency POC, and to list preferred roommates if you plan to share your BGN weekend with one or more familiar beloveds in your life. The email will generally be sent within a week of your registration. Please complete the request as soon as possible. There are many moving parts to coordinate behind the scenes. We appreciate your attention and respect for our time and energy to integrate all those parts to create a seemless retreat.
- Check-in is 4pm on Friday.
- Official BGN programming will BEGIN on Friday with a GROUP GATHERING AT 530PM prior to dinner at 6pm. We will CONCLUDE BGN programming around noon on Sunday and the dining hall will be open for lunch to socialize informally before departure.
- Check-out is 1130am on Sunday.
- Programming between 530pm Friday and 1130am Sunday will not shared in detail, as this will be an experiential retreat uniquely and creatively designed to bring you into the nowhere, the NowHere. Yes, we will have discussion. Yes, we will do breathwork. Yes, we will share silence. Yes, we will hoot and holler. Yes, we will practice ceremony. Yes, we will connect with nature. Yes, we will connect hearts. Yes, we will sing together. Yes, we will cry together. Yes, we will unplug from our digital devices.
- A ROUGH agenda will be emailed THE WEEK OF THE RETREAT, along with packing suggestions, logistics information, and any relevant final details. Specific instructions for the first gathering will be provided in your welcome packet in your room, and start times for follow-on programming will be confirmed throughout the weekend.
- The main menu will have gluten-free and vegetarian options.
- Lodging accommodations AND our meeting room will be in the Robertson Inn. All rooms have two queen beds.
- Rooms are intended for double-occupancy so you can share your experience with someone familiar or with a new BGN friend! If you are open to having your roommate randomly selected, please leave the preferred roommate fields blank on the attendee form. If you have a group of 3 or 4 attending who wish to room together, we can accommodate (indicate your preference on the detailed attendee form). If you wish to have a private single room, you can add that option to this registration for an additional fee.
- You should be prepared for indoor and outdoor activities. We are aware that weather in Florida is variable. If that concerns you at all, we lovingly challenge you to unleash your inner child and join us for whatever this adventure has to offer your spirit.
- We do ask that you commit to being fully present for the entire weekend between 530pm Friday and 1130am Sunday. Retreat programming will build upon itself. We intend that the sacred circle created as soon as the retreat begins will be unbroken until we conclude. Each and every participant supports each other in some way and helps to co-create the energy of the experience. Please be present for yourself and your fellow BGN brothers and sisters.
- For anyone traveling by air, the two closest airports are Jacksonville (JAX) and Savannah (SAV). Both cities are approxmately an hour from Epworth by the Sea.
- PLEASE NOTE: Your payment includes a $150 non-refundable deposit. By submitting your online registration with payment, an understanding of and agreement with these policies are implied. Cancellation Policy is as follows:
- 60 days prior to the event, 50% refund less deposit.
- 30 days prior to the event, 25% refund less deposit.
- 15 days prior to the event, no refund.
If you have any questions or concerns, feel free to email firstname.lastname@example.org
Not familiar with Boldly Going Nowhere? Find out more here: www.WeAreBoldlyGoingNowhere.com
Watch a highlight reel from our January 2018 BGN Retreat…